Ship pilotage services includes all operation of anchoring, navigation, berthing, departure, double banking and shifting of the ship that carry out by pilot. Based on paragraph 4 of article 3 of chapter 2 of the regulation of Ports and Maritime Organization (adopted in 1970), most important and sensitive duty of ship pilotage is the responsibility of the P.M.O pilotage area of the port includes four areas of anchorage, port access channel, basin and jetties.
specification of Pilotage area
specification of pilotage area is following:
• Anchorage geographical coordinates: 36 53N 53 23 E (depth 9 m)• Port access channel begins from fair way buoy• Basin is located after breakwater
Ship pilotage regulation
All commercial ships of any capacity must request a pilot from port traffic control on arrival to enter the port .
Required measures for alongside ships
1. master must ensure continuous communication to port traffic control at any time
2. master must carry out any movement with prior notice and permission from port traffic control
3. continuous monitoring of ropes and related equipment when the ship is alongside(at least once every two hours)
4. in the case of using of self-tensioning winches, master must ensure correct performance these equipment when the ship is alongside(at least once every 2 hours)
5. continuous lighting on main deck and cargo loading/unloading area
6. control entry /exit of persons to the ship as per to ISPS code requirements
ship pilotage conditions
1. Navigation :Based on art. 49&50 A-Viii of STCW convention 95 , the presence of the pilot does not relieve the responsibility of the master. Master and/or the officer in charge of the navigational watch shall co-operate closely with the pilot and maintain an accurate check on the ship’s position and movement.
2. Compensation: as per to art. 22 of chapter iv of Iran maritime law, Ports and Maritime organization is not liable for any damage caused by pilot.
3. Master legal responsibility: ad per to art.22 of chapter iv Iran maritime law , if the master does not accept pilot’s notifications or does not comply with traffic regulation and discipline ,the master will be responsible for any damage that would result from his actions and may condemned penalties according to art. 64 .
According to table 3 of P.M.O tariff manual, the tariff of ship’s pilotage service(berthing &unberthing)is determined 25 cent/GT .
Pilotage operation in Amirabad port
Pilotage operation of Amirabad port has been delegated to the private sector – Persian Gulf ship pilotage company- in order to privatize the port activities resulted to better services to the customers. This company is aspecialized company in ship pilotage operation that perform ship pilotage services in Amirabad port.Harbour master supervise company’s activities and coordinate all pilotage operations. Pilotage service applicants can follow their request:
Harbour master office tel. : +981134512236
Harbour master office fax : +9811 34512236
Persian Gulf ship pilotage company tel. : +9811 34512610
Persian Gulf ship pilotage company fax : +981134623729